NetGalley seeking part-time enthusiastic, bookish,
detail-oriented Community Assistant
Are you excited to help build pre-publication buzz for new books? NetGalley is looking for a part-time Community Assistant. Find out more about NetGalley at www.netgalley.com.
This position reports to NetGalley’s Community Manager and includes handling social media, content creation, and customer support as well as assisting with administrative tasks and scheduling.
The ideal candidate has outstanding communication and interpersonal skills; is enthusiastic, professional, extremely organized, and highly detail-oriented; and is adept at prioritization, juggling multiple tasks, and meeting deadlines. Familiarity with NetGalley is strongly preferred; otherwise candidate must be digital-savvy with an understanding of current reading devices (and always willing to learn). A moderate knowledge of the publishing industry and book publicity/marketing is expected, while hands-on experience working in a book marketing position is strongly preferred. The perfect candidate will have a knack for creating public-facing content and be comfortable representing the company’s voice and values online and potentially in-person.
The NetGalley team is virtual, but most of our employees and clients are based in the NYC metro area – working hours for this position are on East Coast time, preferably morning through midday. We’re looking for someone available to start immediately, and work 20-30 hours a week.
This position is entry-level and for “doers” only, but provides a lot of potential to try new tasks, contribute your ideas and make your mark.
- Professional experience with social media platforms, including strong instincts and keen understanding of when and how best to engage with the community.
- Excellent verbal, written, and communication skills (friendly and professional)
- A fan of reading digitally and interested in the overall book publishing industry
- Comfortable (and successful) at identifying potential social campaigns
- Experience handling customer support
- Consistent at meeting deadlines within a fast-paced environment
- Able to work and manage your time independently
- Comfortable working with a virtual team
- Spanish language proficiency is preferred
- Publishing or other book-industry background or education
- Marketing/publicity experience, especially related to books
- Experience using WordPress, all social platforms, and Smartsheet
- Basic technical skills (HTML a plus, any design experience a plus)
- Familiarity with the NetGalley site and concept
Ability to work remotely from your home office, while gaining invaluable insight into the book publishing industry, specifically marketing and publicity activities as related to digital platforms and pre-release buzz. Plus, you will work with a group of truly amazing and creative people!
How to apply:
Please use this online form to submit your resume, as well as a cover letter (brief introduction and how you fit into the description above). We look forward to hearing from you!